The tradition began when Paul and Florence Korsmo moved their family from Warren, Minnesota, to Moorhead to open Korsmo Funeral Chapel on January 1st, 1958. It was during those early years that The Korsmo's developed the motto which has endured through the decades - "Serving when the need is greatest".
In 1962, the first additional licensed funeral director, Milo Larson, joined the firm. This allowed the family occasional time off, but did not diminish the couple's tireless work. In 1976, Paul and Florence's son, George, became a licensed funeral director and returned to Moorhead with his wife, Ruth, to join the family business.
That same year, the family incorporated their business under the name Korsmo Funeral Service, Inc. The name was chosen to reflect the firm's commitment to service. In 1985, Florence retired from the business and Ruth joined in a full-time capacity.